Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Brunei Street Rollerblading Competition - Part 7

Finals recap:

It was a battle for the top 5 finalist: Manap, Eyan, Koo Jinchen, Cefu and Samsul. Best trick wins it all. My gf was busy setting up the camera, the crowds talking to each other, anticipating what tricks that might be done, who would be the first to skate the rail, considering its not a rail that we would skate on a normal basis. Heck, we never skated here as a group before.

Personally, I've been to this spot numerous times with my regular skaters back then (i.e. Manap, Khaliq, Ikhwan) but I've never skated this rail before! The only person among my group that's ever skated this place was Manap. I know for sure, my chances of nailing one trick would only be around 10% max! hahaha so im not expecting myself to land any tricks on this rail.

Minutes passed, and still no one yet tried the rail. Came Lani, an old-time roller from back in the days, who joined in the group just to try the rail, but he's not competing. Skaters ran up to the rail numerous times, back-and-forth, probably imagining the trick that would be done, and god knows what they're thinking. As the skaters were preparing themselves for the rail, out of nowhere, Manap passed all of us with extra speed, jumped, locked on soul, grinded all the way down, and clean landing! Crowds went wild, and eyes were locked on each other for the finalist. I think to myself, this is it! This will be exciting!!

Cefu, Samsul and Koo were battling it out. Souls, top souls, top acids, kindgrind, ao acid, ao soul, true miszou, true mistrail, back nugens, back royales were amongst the trick that were thrown down by these 3 skaters. Koo even attempted to negetive sweatstance the rail, but could not lock on to it for long. Samsul tried 180 over the gap, but did not land it clearly. That was it. B called it time. It was a close battle between these 3 skaters. Now it's up to the votes from the crowds to determine who will emerge as Champions.

The winners were not announced immediately. We all gathered at Lust Co at The Mall, Gadong. While I was busy preparing the prizes for the winners, the others were having a good time, chatting and playing pool. "IT WAS ALL GOOD", that's what I said to myself.

(Click to enlarge)


It was time. I set up my camera, Min had my vcam, Khaliq got his camera, and some others with their camera getting ready for the moment that we've all been waiting for.

At third place, Koo Jinchen. (Prizes: goodies from Wheel_Love and Surkrew).


At second place, Cefu. (Prizes: goodies from Wheel_Love and Surkrew).


The Champion, Samsul. (Prizes: $100 vouchers from Lust, goodies from Wheel_Love and Surkrew).


B announcned that there was one additional prize. It was for the best overall skater from the competition (consistency throughout the 4 spots/rounds). It was given to Eyan.(Prize: $50 vouchers from Lust).






During the product throwaway.


It was a great competition overall. The turnout exceeded what I had personally expected. I really had a good time, as the rest of the people. I would like to thank B for organising the competition, Lust, Wheel Love and Surkrew for sponsoring the prizes, the skaters that turned up to skate and joined the competition, the crowds for following with us throughout the competition, the 2 photographers we met at stadium (1 is Keegan, I'm not sure who the other person was), my gf, Min and Khaliq for taking the pictures, and to all that were involved (directly or indrectly) in the competition, I thank you all very very much! I'm looking forward to another competition.

NOTE: More pictures available here.

No comments: